Older

 My hair turns from black to grey to white
As I lie awake for another night

I can no longer hear the stories my youth tells
Too young for a midlife crisis, too old for everything else 
 
My own legs don't work like they used to before
I can't even be swept off my feet anymore
 
Every time I look in the mirror, I think I used to be thinner
But that won't stop me from having pizza and coke for dinner
 
I talk more and more, in the past tense
I'm not used to saying "used to", at every chance
 
I tend to forget all my friends' birthdays 
The days change, but not more than my weight
 
My growing fat has got no place to hide
My jeans' pockets have barely got place inside
 
There's another wedding I'll miss tomorrow night
The only thing I will stay up for is a Zoom invite
 
There are so many things I don't even know anymore
The only music in my playlist is from a decade ago
 
I could swear that time goes slower everyday
So how did I grow a year older, yesterday?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of work...and not much else

Compromise

Sleepless Nights