Bronze-Tinted Nostalgia

15 years ago, I was young and reckless
I spoke more and thought less
No worries in life, nothing to fear
Laughing till my stomach hurt was the only time I had tears 

Music and family was where I spent the day
Had One Love, guess I Wanted It That Way
Listening to Backstreet till I turned Blue
These old songs, now they seem new

Staying up till 12 seemed such a rush
Anytime after that, and mom would make a fuss
Now that's when I wake up, but at the opposite end
Time is the only thing that sleep can't mend

And now I am old, fat, with grey hair and a paunch
Guess that combo goes with my childhood hunch
Wish I could turn back time, to the days of yore
When the biggest problem was that I would get bored

Sometimes I hear a song that takes me back to that time
A strain of music that makes me rewind
Playing cricket in my room with my brother 
Breaking the clock was the only bother

And now I am far from the place I call home 
Doing what I am good at, or so I presume
Until someone comes to tell me otherwise
Ignorance is as much a virtue as it is a vice

Who knew I'd be paid just to sell ideas 
Even if they disintegrated faster than tortilla
The biggest idea I will never sell is love 
Pure, white, but flies away like a dove 

I was always told, "Do what you want, son"
But what if I never knew what needed to be done
Because that was the advice I never heeded
Got what others wanted, but not what I needed

I used to think that nothing could be better
Than going around the world, but what does it matter
I think the idea of a perfect world was a little wrong
I am living the dream, but I am venting in a song 

Comments

  1. Damn Tilak, it is amazing.
    I can almost feel every line, every word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am living the dream but venting in a song is the line which I think resonates with the most...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Of work...and not much else

Compromise

Sleepless Nights