Musings on a cold night

Got my fists stowed in my pocket
Protecting myself from the wintery cold
My shoulders creak from their sockets
The weight of the winter is more than I can hold

Got a jacket on to keep my chest warm
But what about the heart that's underneath it
I know that I'm not alone as I see the night washed by the dawn
The moon stares back at the sun that lit it

Though the night may be washed by the moon
I never looked up to find that out
I am simply lost in my own tunes
And my mind, in it's own doubts

I keep walking on these paths of rubble
My feet are caught in their own race
My eyes look for a winner in these doubles
In the hope that I don't meet a familiar face

And my ears, they strain for a familiar sound
A song that I heard, but one I never listened to
In the hopes that my words come around
And fix themselves in a new rhyme or two

But like the road in front of me
My thoughts, they keep moving in circles
They try to put in words what my eyes can see
As I try to cross all my mind's hurdles

But I look at these lines that are writ
They say so much, and say nothing at all
I think to myself, what kind of wordsmith
Would lose his mind on words in a stroll

And that's not the only thing I've lost in this time
I've lost sleep, time, and a chance to set things straight
But who cares, as long as I get to write another line
About life and love, about words and fate

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of work...and not much else

Compromise

Sleepless Nights